500g oxtails cut into thick pieces
10 slices bacon cut in pieces
½ cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1 litre beef stock
1 can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
6 black peppercorns
1 bouquet garni
6 large leeks, chopped coarsely
2 large onions, chopped coarsely
6 large carrots, chopped coarsely
20 button mushrooms
1 cup red wine
½ cup sherry
½ cup cream
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Dry oxtails with paper towel.
- Put seasoned flour in a Ziplock bag, then add the oxtail and shake to coat with flour.
- Heat butter and olive oil and sauté bacon pieces.
- Remove bacon and brown oxtail in resulting fat, remove and drain.
- Finely dice 4 of the carrots.
- Coarsely chop the onions and the leeks.
- Add the finely diced carrots, leeks, onions and sauté until softened.
- Add Oxtail, bacon, bouquet garni, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, tomato sauce, red wine, and sherry.
- Bring slowly to a boil and cook slowly for 3 – 4 hours.
- 1 hour before serving cut the remaining carrots into 1 inch pieces, add carrots and mushrooms and continue cooking slowly.
- Just prior to serving, add cream and stir in.
- If you want to thicken the sauce mix some cornstarch with the cream before adding.