1 kg oxtail, cut into joints
500 ml water
300 ml red wine
6-8 whole button onions, peeled
1.5 cups baby carrots, peeled
12 whole new baby potatoes, unpeeled
2 cups frozen green peas
250 ml water
25 grams oxtail soup powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed garlic
- Heat the pot until very hot.
- Brown the meat in its own fat.
- Add the water and the wine.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the onions.
- Replace the lid and simmer for another 2 hours.
- Have an occasional peek and add water if necessary.
- Arrange the carrots, potatoes and peas in layers on top of the meat.
- Cover and simmer for a further 1 hour.
- Mix the water, soup powder, salt and garlic and add to pot.
- Simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with French bread, chips or rice.