1 oxtail (jointed)
15 ml cooking oil
1 onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh rosemary or 5 ml dried
1 sprig parsley or 5 ml dried
500 ml beef stock
30 ml vinegar or lemon juice
10 ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 leeks (cut into chunks)
2 stalks leafy celery (cut into pieces)
6 baby carrots (scrubbed)
250 ml green peas (fresh or frozen)
250 ml cake flour
5 ml baking powder
2 ml salt
60 g butter
Cold water or soda water to mix dough
- Heat oil and brown oxtail.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Add bay leaves, rosemary, parsley, hot stock and vinegar or lemon juice.
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Layer vegetables on top of meat, starting with leeks and celery, then carrots and peas.
- Add more stock if necessary.
- For the dumplings, sift dry ingredients together and rub in butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough cold water or soda water to make a soft dough.
- Place spoonfuls of dough on top of meat and vegetables.
- Replace lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Don’t lift the lid or the dumplings will collapse.