500 g samp and beans
30 ml oil
500 g stewing beef, cubed, or lean beef mince
5 cloves garlic, crushed
2 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
30 ml mild curry powder
2 bay leaves
30 ml masala for breyani
6 dried curry leaves
Salt and ground black pepper
400 g chopped tomatoes
750 ml beef stock
- Soak the samp and beans overnight, or in boiling water for a couple of hours.
- Rinse, place in a pot or pressure cooker, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer, or pressure cook until the samp is soft (about 25 minutes in pressure cooker).
- Drain and season with salt.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron pot, and brown the beef a little at a time.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.v
- Sauté the garlic, onions and green pepper in the remaining oil until softened (add more oil if necessary), add spices and continue cooking for about one minute to draw out the flavour.
- Add the tomatoes, browned meat and cooked samp.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Add 500 ml stock, stir and cover.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender.
- Add more stock if the mixture becomes too dry.