Potjie No: Flat
Cooking Time: 1 hr 15 min
Email Recipe »
500 g white bread flour
500 g wholewheat flour
12 ml salt
25 ml white sugar
10 g instant yeast
500 ml milk
500 ml water
40 ml butter or margarine
- Mix the dry ingredients and yeast in a big mixing bowl.
- Heat the milk, water and butter until lukewarm.
- Add enough of the lukewarm mixture to the dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Knead until elastic and leave in a warm place to rise.
- Knead lightly and shape into a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC.
- Grease a medium-sized, flat-bottomed, cast-iron pot with butter or margarine and place the dough inside.
- Also grease the top of the dough and the inside of the lid with butter.
- Put the lid on and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Bake at 200 ºC for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 180 ºC.
- Bake for another hour or until cooked and the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Leave in the pot to cool slightly, then remove.
- Makes 1 large loaf.