250 ml cake flour
Pinch of salt
5 ml baking powder
1 large egg, beaten
50-75 ml milk, or milk and water
100 ml melted butter
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Beat egg, milk or milk and water and half the melted butter together and add to flour. Mix well to a soft dough that will drop easily off the spoon.
- Half fill potjie with water and bring to the boil.
- As soon as large bubbles appear in the water, drop teaspoonfuls of batter into the water.
- Cover with lid and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- If the water boils too vigorously the mixture will boil over.
- Resist the temptation to peep into the potjie during this time as the dumplings will flop.
- After 10 minutes, if the dumplings have not yet floated to the top of the water, they are still not cooked.
- Replace lid and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and place into a warm serving dish.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and the remaining butter.
- Serve and eat immediately.