550 ml white bread flour
600 ml cracked wheat
5 ml salt
1 packet instant yeast
5 ml caraway seeds (optional)
350 ml beer
30 ml honey
15 ml melted butter
100 ml warm water
- Mix flour, cracked wheat, salt, yeast and caraway seeds (if using) in a large bowl.
- Heat the beer slightly.
- Mix with honey, melted butter and warm water and add to flour mixture.
- Stir until dough becomes easily manageable.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead for about 4 minutes or until the dough is smooth and comes away from the surface easily.
- Form dough into a ball, flatten the top slightly and place in buttered potjie.
- Brush dough and inside of lid with melted butter.
- Place lid on pot and place in a warm draughtless position for about 45 minutes until the dough has doubled in size.
- Place pot on slow fire with a few small coals on top of lid and bake for 45 – 60 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn out while still hot and serve immediately with butter.