2 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
15 ml butter
2 kg venison with bones
3 sheep’s tails or 1 neck of mutton, sliced
1 pork rind with a thick layer of fat
5 whole cloves
5 ml ground coriander
5 black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
4 whole allspice
1 sprig parsley
30 ml wine vinegar
500 ml meat or venison stock
15 ml smooth apricot jam, maroela or apple jelly
- Heat butter in potjie and sauté onions and garlic until transparent.
- Place meat, tails or neck and pork rind on top of onions.
- Heat cloves, coriander, peppercorns, bay leaves, allspice, parsley, vinegar and stock and add to meat.
- Cover with lid and simmer slowly for 2 – 2.5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from bones.
- Replace meat and remove bay leaves and whole spices.
- Stir in jam or jelly.