Cooking oil to brown meat
8 neck of lamb slices, 15 mm thick
8 lamb knuckles, 15 mm thick
8 pork knuckles, 15 mm thick
8 small onions
10 ml salt
8 carrots, each cut into 3 pieces
3 large potatoes, cubed
24 young green beans, halved
6 baby marrows, each cut into 3 pieces
250 g button mushrooms
2 large onions, finely chopped
6 large ripe tomatoes, skinned and diced
2 – 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 – 3 drops Tabasco sauce
15 ml soy sauce
15 ml Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 stalk celery, cut into 5 mm pieces
Coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a little oil in the potjie, add neck and brown on all sides.
- Remove and arrange in the centre of a flat-bottomed potjie.
- Repeat this with the lamb and pork knuckles, placing the lamb in a circle around the neck, then the pork knuckles around the outside edge.
- Place whole small onions on top and sprinkle with salt.
- Pour in hot meat stock to almost cover meat.
- Arrange vegetables on top in layers: carrots, potatoes, then green beans.
- Cover with lid and allow to simmer.
- As soon as the potato is almost soft, arrange a layer of baby marrow and then a layer of mushrooms on top.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Braise onion and tomato in smaller potjie.
- Add remaining ingredients, except parsley.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon over vegetables in flat-bottomed potjie and allow to simmer through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.