1.5 kg neck of mutton, cut into slices
30 ml cooking oil
Salt and pepper to taste
3 medium onions, chopped
250 ml water
500 g whole baby carrots, peeled
500 g whole baby potatoes, peeled
20 ml sugar
10 ml mild curry powder
5 ml turmeric
125 ml milk
- Heat the oil in the pot.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown a few pieces at a time.
- Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onions until tender.
- Return the meat to the pot.
- Cover the meat with water, replace lid and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix the sugar, curry powder and turmeric with the milk and add.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes and gently stir through once.
- Add more water if the potjie becomes too dry and simmer for another 15 minutes.