2 kg mutton chops
Salt and pepper to taste
45 ml cooking oil
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
250 g rindless breakfast bacon, chopped
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
250 ml uncooked rice
250 ml dried apricots, soaked in water for 1 hour and drained
250 ml water
1 tin (410 g) mealie kernels, drained
1 tin (410 g) peas, drained
250 ml chutney
20 ml strong curry powder
5 ml turmeric
3 ml coriander
3 ml ground nutmeg
- Heat the oil in the pot.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and in the open pot brown a few pieces at a time on both sides.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Fry the onions until tender.
- Return the meat to the pot with the onions.
- Arrange the bacon, potatoes, rice and apricots in layers on top of the meat.
- Add the water.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add more water if the potjie boils dry.
- Add the mealies and peas.
- Mix the chutney, curry, turmeric, coriander and nutmeg well.
- Add the mixture to the Potjie.
- Cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with sliced banana, finely chopped onion and tomato and finely grated coconut.