30 ml mutton tail fat or 15 ml butter and 15 ml cooking oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1.5 kg neck of lamb slices
10-15 ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 medium potatoes, quartered lengthwise
500 g uncooked rice
2.5 litres meat stock
- Heat fat or butter and oil in potjie and sauté onion and garlic until transparent.
- Remove and set aside.
- Slash fat edges of meat to prevent curling while cooking.
- Add meat gradually to potjie and fry until golden brown and crisp.
- Sprinkle meat with a little salt and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes on top of meat and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread onion and garlic mixture over potatoes.
- Sprinkle rice over.
- Heat stock in a separate potjie and pour carefully over rice.
- Season with more salt and pepper.
- The liquid should be 25 mm above the rice.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours or until the liquid disappears from the top of the rice.