1.5 kg mutton shank, sawn into slices
30 ml cooking oil
500 g lamb’s kidney
2 large onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
Pinch of ground pimiento
6 whole cloves
6 cardamom seeds, crushed
1 stick cinnamon
2 ml salt
3 bay leaves
A little chopped fresh
15 ml garlic and ginger masala
15 ml garam masala
5 ml turmeric
75 ml vinegar
30 ml smooth apricot jam
250 ml semi-sweet wine (stein)
8 baby potatoes, peeled
4 carrots, sliced
250 g green beans, sliced
250 g cauliflower, broken into florets
250 ml shredded cabbage
300 g mushrooms, wiped and sliced
2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- Brown meat a few pieces at a time in heated cooking oil.
- Add the kidneys and brown with meat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until transparent.
- Add ginger, pimiento (allspice), cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, salt, bay leaves and coriander leaves.
- Mix masalas, turmeric, vinegar and jam together and add to meat.
- Heat wine and pour over meat.
- Cover with lid and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Layer vegetables on top of meat in the order listed.
- Spoon tomato over the top, replace the lid and simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and the tomato has formed a pulp.
- Serve with rice.