1.5 kg lamb shanks
5 ml salt
5 ml black pepper
1 onion, finely sliced
15 ml olive oil
15 ml balsamic vinegar
5 ml lemon and herb spice
5 ml indian potjiekos spices
3 tomatoes, peeled and diced
50 ml boiling water or stock
500 g baby potatoes, in jackets or peeled
10 baby marrows, sliced
10 patty pans, halved
500 g fresh mushrooms, halved or sliced
- Season the shanks lightly with salt and pepper and brown a few at a time in a heated pot until browned all over.
- Remove the shanks and sauté the onion in a little olive oil until soft.
- Add the vinegar and stir through.
- Add all the spices and stir-fry lightly.
- Add the tomatoes and mix through.
- Return the shanks to the pot, lower the heat, add a little boiling water or stock and simmer until the shanks are done.
- Add the baby potatoes after simmering for half an hour.
- Simmer until the potatoes are almost soft and add the rest of the vegetables and heat until they’re just done but still crisp.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and another sprinkle of balsamic vinegar if you like.
- Serve with brown rice or parsley rice.