2 kg lamb shanks (cut into long pieces)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
30 ml butter
30 ml olive oil
2 onions (chopped)
4 celery stalks (chopped)
30 ml cake flour
250 ml dry white wine
500 ml chicken stock
125 ml chopped fresh parsley
10 ml dried oregano
60 ml lemon juice
3 egg yolks
- Season the shanks well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a cast-iron pot and brown the shanks.
- Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the onions and celery until soft.
- Add the cake flour and heat for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add 250 ml of the white wine, bring to the boil and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the stock, parsley and oregano.
- Return the meat to the pot, cover and simmer slowly for 2.5 hours or until the meat is tender (add more white wine if the pot seems dry).
- Remove the meat from the pot.
- Beat the lemon juice and egg yolks with 125 ml of the meat sauce.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir the egg yolk mixture into the sauce.
- Return the meat to the pot and mix.