30 ml sunflower oil
1 kg lamb knuckles
2 large onions (thinly sliced)
10 ml garlic (crushed)
10 ml ginger (freshly grated)
60 ml fresh coriander (chopped)
5 ml ground cumin
5 ml coriander
5 ml tumeric
5 ml chilli powder
3 cinnamon sticks
3 cardomom pods
4 whole cloves
2 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
10 ml sugar
4 medium potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- Heat half the sunflower oil in a large potjie.
- Brown the meat in batches and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and braise the onions for five to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices, and fry for a further two minutes.
- Return the meat to the potjie.
- Add 250ml water (or enough to cover the meat) and cook, covered, over medium coals for about an hour.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook until both the potatoes and the meat are tender.
- Add the fresh coriander and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.