2 kg skaapskenkel, cubed
20ml medium curry powder
4 sticks cinnamon
10ml grated ginger
10 whole kruinaeltjies
3 large onions, diced
10ml lemon juice
2 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed
8 baby potatoes, peeled
4 large tomatoes, diced
500ml natural yoghurt
Salt and pepper to taste
20ml chopped fresh parsley
15ml white sugar
15ml grated lemon peel
- Mix the ingredients of the marinade and pour over the meat for about 1 hour.
- Heat the oil and butter in the pot and then add the stick cinnamon and naeltjies for a few minutes.
- Add the onions and braai until soft.
- Remove the onions but let the stick cinnamon and naeltjies remain in the pot.
- Brown the meat and add a little water if necessary.
- Add the onion mixture to the meat, cover with the lid and allow to simmer for about 1 hour.
- Place the eiervrug cubes on top of the meat and season with the salt and pepper.
- Layer the potatoes and tomatoes and once again season with salt and pepper and a little bit of white sugar.
- Cover with the lid and allow to simmer for approximately 2-3 hours.
- Stir well before serving and serve with rice and the yoghurt mixture over each serving.