Potjie No: 3
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Email Recipe »
1 kg mutton shank, sawn into slices
15 ml cooking oil
250 g onions, sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
500 ml meat stock
500 g potatoes, sliced
250 g green beans
250 g baby marrows, whole if small, otherwise sliced
250 g mushrooms, whole if small, sliced if large
4 spring onions
250 g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
5 ml chopped fresh oregano or 2 ml dried
Pinch of ground cloves
1 ml paprika
15 ml fresh rosemary or 5 ml dried
- Brown shank in heated oil.
- Add onion and sauté until transparent.
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Pour heated stock over.
- Arrange vegetables on top of meat in the following order: potatoes, green beans, baby marrows, mushrooms and spring onions.
- Spoon tomato on top of vegetables.
- Sprinkle with oregano, cloves, paprika and rosemary.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Do not stir during cooking process.
- Before serving, stir carefully making sure the meat and vegetables do not break up.