4 sheep’s tails (optional)
1.5 kg neck of mutton, sawn into slices
1 kg mutton shank, sawn into pieces
1 kg mutton breast, sawn into portions
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
300 g potatoes, peeled and sliced
200 g baby carrots
200 g green beans
100 g baby marrows
100 g button mushrooms
1/2 x 410 g can whole tomatoes, chopped
30 ml chopped fresh parsley
5 ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
50 ml dry white wine
150 ml dry red wine
- Place sheep’s tails, if using, into potjie, heat slowly and brown.
- Add remaining meat a few pieces at a time and brown in tail fat.
- Add onion, garlic and green pepper and sauté until onion and garlic are transparent.
- Arrange vegetables in layers, in the order listed above, on top of meat.
- Add tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper and bay leaf.
- Pour heated wine over, cover with lid and simmer for 2 – 3 hours or until meat is tender.