12 neck slices or thick rib lamb chops
15 ml butter
15 ml cooking oil
4 large onions, sliced
2 – 3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 large ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
10 ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
15 ml brown sugar
2 ml ground cinnamon
6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
500 ml meat stock (if necessary)
- Cut off excess fat.
- Slash fat edges to prevent curling during cooking.
- Brown meat in heated butter and oil.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until transparent.
- Replace meat on top of onion and garlic and spoon tomato on top.
- Season with salt and pepper and add sugar and cinnamon to meat.
- Arrange potatoes on top of tomato and add heated meat stock if necessary.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours or until meat and potatoes are tender and tomato has formed a pulp.
- Serve with rice.