2 kg leg of lamb
250g bacon, cubed
300g baby carrots, peeled
8 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
300g brussels sprouts
15ml ground coriander
15ml brown sugar
1 bottle dry red wine
3ml dried rosemary
250ml sour cream
150g dried peaches
Salt and pepper to taste
15ml apricot jam
15 ml cake flour
- Trim all the fat off the leg.
- Make small cuts in the leg with a knife and stretch these cuts by pushing a finger in each cut.
- Fill each cut with the cubed bacon.
- Rub the leg well with the coriander and the brown sugar.
- Marinade the leg in the wine overnight.
- Melt the butter in the potjie while the fire is still burning and brown the leg slightly on all sides.
- Add the rosemary and 50ml of the wine marinade.
- Cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for at least 1.5 hours or until the leg is half done.
- Ensure that the coals are not too hot and turn the leg regularly adding some more wine marinade and not more than half of the sour cream.
- Add the dried fruit, cover with the lid and allow the potjie to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Layer the veggies as they appear in the recipe and season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining sour cream, cover with the lid and allow the potjie to simmer for a further hour.
- When the leg is done, add the jam, cover with the lid and wait until the jam has melted.
- The potjie is now ready to be served.
- Remove the leg and carve it in slices.
- Add the flour to the sauce and stir until ready.