Potjie No: 3/4 and 2 or 3
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Email Recipe »
1 ox heart
250 g flank or breast of mutton
15 ml cooking oil
15 ml butter
3 onions, sliced
250 ml meat stock or dry white wine
2 ml ground cloves
5 ml ground coriander
1 ml grated nutmeg
1 ml ground allspice
30 ml vinegar
- Soak heart in hot salted water for about 30 minutes.
- Discard hard tubes and cut heart into cubes.
- Discard outside skin from mutton and cut meat into smaller pieces.
- Heat oil and butter in larger potjie and brown meat.
- Remove meat from potjie and set aside.
- Add more oil and butter to potjie if necessary.
- Add onion and sauté until transparent.
- Leave the onion on the bottom of the potjie and spoon meat on top.
- Heat remaining ingredients in small potjie, pour over meat and cover with lid.
- Simmer slowly for 1 hour or until meat is tender.