4 lamb’s tripe and trotters
3 kg saddle of lamb chops
50 ml blanc de noir wine
Salt to taste
5 medium onions, quartered
25 medium potatoes
20 ml curry powder
20 ml turmeric
50 ml white sugar
50 ml white vinegar
- Wash tripe and trotters thoroughly.
- Cut tripe into 25 mm pieces and simmer in a little water in the potjie for 1 hour.
- Add trotters and chops, wine, salt and peppercorns.
- Simmer slowly for about 6 hours so that the tripe and trotters become soft and gelatinous.
- Make sure the meat does not dry out and add more water when necessary.
- When offal is tender, add onions and potatoes.
- Mix curry powder, turmeric, sugar, salt and vinegar together and add to the potjie.
- Simmer for a further 40-45 minutes, adding water if necessary to avoid burning.