110 g salted butter
500 ml cake flour
10 ml baking powder
70 ml full cream milk
2 jumbo eggs
2 ml salt
30 g salted butter
380 ml water (boiling)
260 ml white sugar
TIP: You can create the dough yourself, or buy it ready-made from your local supermarket if you’re pressed for time.
- Combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt, then rub small pieces of the butter lightly into the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the full cream milk and jumbo eggs together, add to the dry mixture, then mix to make a dough.
- Keep the dough in the fridge for half an hour, then roll it out to a thickness of about half a centimetre all over.
- Spread the rolled-out dough lightly with smooth apricot jam.
You first need to create the syrup in your potjie pot, into which you will place the rolled-up dough
- Add the sugar and the boiling water to the potjie pot and stir over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer on a low heat for 2 – 3 minutes before stirring in the 30g of butter.
- Roll up the dough (spread with jam) and place it gently and carefully into the lightly simmering syrup in the potjie pot.
- Cover with the lid of the potjie and let the dough simmer slowly for about 30 minutes or until it is ready.
- Serve with custard and enjoy.