1 kg beef tripe
15 ml cooking oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped or 1 x 410 g can whole tomatoes, chopped
50 ml chopped fresh parsley
5 ml sugar
10 ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pinch of grated nutmeg
250 ml dry white wine
10 baby or 4 large potatoes, quartered
- Boil tripe in salted water for 2.5 hours or until tender.
- Drain, dry well and cut into strips.
- Discard salt water and dry potjie thoroughly.
- Heat cooking oil and sauté onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients, except tripe and potatoes, and simmer until the sauce has thickened a little.
- Add tripe and stir well.
- Arrange potatoes on top and cover with lid.
- Simmer slowly for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.