15 ml butter or lard
7 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 green peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
250 g rindless bacon, chopped
2 packets pork sausages, pricked
1 kg Eisbein
250 ml semi-sweet wine (stein)
7 leeks, sliced
1 small bunch celery, cut up
10 large carrots, sliced into rings
14 medium potatoes, peeled
1 small bunch curly kale, cut into pieces
1 small cabbage, shredded
- Heat butter or fat in potjie and add onion, garlic, green pepper and bacon and sauté until vegetables are transparent.
- Add sausages and Eisbein.
- Heat wine in separate potjie and pour over meat.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Layer remaining ingredients in order listed, replace lid and simmer slowly for 2 – 2.5 hours.
- Do not remove lid.
- When cooked, stir carefully without breaking up sausages.