2 pork fillets, approx 700g each
20 large seedless prunes
10 smoked oysters
12 baby onions
5 celery sticks, sliced
12 baby potatoes, peeled
20ml cooking oil
15ml cake flour
250-300ml beef stock
125ml red wine
Salt to taste
5ml black pepper
5ml Maizena (cornflour)
Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut a lengthwise groove in each fillet and open carefully.
- Fill 10 of the prunes with an oyster and arrange the filled prunes in the groove of one of the fillets.
- Cover with the other fillet and bind the two fillets tightly with a piece of string.
- Heat the butter and oil and braai the meat until brown.
- Sprinkle the cake flour over the fillets and brown for another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and the red wine and stir the sauce with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper and cover with the lid and allow the potjie to simmer slowly for 1 hour.
- Remove the string from the meat and cut in slices but keep the pieces against each other.
- Pack the veggies around the meat in the pot, add the remaining prunes’ and add a little of the stock, if necessary, and allow the potjie to simmer until the veggies are done.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornflour mixed in a little water if needed.