12 chicken thighs (on the bone)
15 ml cooking oil
15 ml butter
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
30 ml root ginger (chopped)
1 small piece chilli (chopped)
2 onions (cut into rings)
5 cardamom pods
1 stick cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 ml (1/2 tsp) turmeric
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
15 ml (3 tsp) mild curry powder
3 whole cloves
2 x 410g can chopped tomatoes (or 6 large tomatoes skinned & chopped)
1 x 500g packet of mixed vegetables
6 medium potatoes (peeled)
1 cup chicken stock (optional)
- Make spice mixture: Grind garlic, ginger, chilli, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, curry powder, turmeric, coriander, salt and cloves into a paste and set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in potjie and brown the chicken a few pieces at a time. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add onion to left over oil in potjie and fry until transparent.
- Add the spice mixture (1) to the onion and fry gently for 2 minutes.
- Place chicken on top of onions and then top with tomatoes.
- Arrange potatoes on top of tomatoes.
- Arrange mixed vegetables on top of potatoes.
- Throw in second tin of tomatoes (optional).
- Pour in the chicken stock (optional).
- Cover with lid and simmer gently for 1.5 hours or until chicken and potatoes are tender (do not stir).
- Serve with rice.