1 kg chicken thighs
45 ml cooking oil
10 ml salt
4 bay leaves
Pinch dried thyme
4 black pepper corns
Pinch ground allspice
45 ml chutney
500 ml carrots, peeled and sliced
6 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
500 g whole button mushrooms
125 ml boiling water
1 chicken stock cube
- Heat the oil in the pot.
- Sprinkle the thighs with salt and fry the chicken, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown.
- Add the herbs, spices and chutney.
- Arrange the carrots, potatoes and mushrooms in layers on top of the chicken.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the water and add it to the potjie.
- Replace the lid and simmer for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Add water if the potjie becomes too dry.