2 chicken stock cubes
750 ml boiling water
5 ml mild curry powder
5 ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
5 ml dried thyme
5 ml dried basil
125 ml cooking oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 chicken breasts, cubed
250 g frozen stir-fry mix (comprising mushrooms, peas, leeks and green peppers)
250 ml dry white wine
250 g parboiled rice
1 large can black mussels in shells, drained
250 g prawns, cleaned
- Prepare a medium coal fire or make a small wood fire.
- Use a No. 6 flat-bottomed potjie with a stand or have grid ready on fire for potjie.
- Mix stock cubes, boiling water, curry powder, salt, pepper and herbs in separate potjie.
- Heat oil in flat-bottomed potjie and sauté onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add chicken and fry until golden brown.
- Add half the stock, cover with lid and allow to simmer for 35 minutes.
- Place stir-fry mixture on top of chicken.
- Pour a little of the stock mixture over chicken.
- If necessary, sprinkle a little of the wine over.
- Replace lid and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Place rice, mussels and prawns on top of chicken.
- Pour wine over, replace lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until prawns are done and mussels heated through.
- Just before serving, stir potjie carefully.
- Serve with garlic bread.