2 tbsp butter
8 medium shallots, whole peeled
5 whole garlic cloves, crushed
300 grams streaky bacon, cut thick
Sprig of fresh thyme
500 grams button mushrooms, whole
4 carrots peeled and cut into thick slices
2 cups good Bourgogne red wine (Pinot Noir)
2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
8 pieces chicken on the bone
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat Potjie.
- Add butter and bacon.
- Brown bacon on medium heat until brown.
- Remove bacon and set aside.
- Keep bacon fat in Potjie.
- Brown chicken and shallots in bacon and butter fat. Half way through add garlic and add salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock, wine, herbs, vinegar, carrots and potatoes. Add the bacon back to Potjie.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove solids from Potjie.
- Add mushrooms to remaining liquid, boil quickly and reduce liquid by 3/4 until it becomes a nice thick sauce.
- Reduce heat and return solids to Potjie.
- Reheat solids and coat with sauce.v
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or a fresh French baguette and a nice Pinot Noir wine.