1 kg fresh tuna steaks (20 mm thick)
50 ml olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
30 ml sultanas
125 ml dry white wine
4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped or 1 x 410 g can tomatoes, chopped
4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
5 ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
200 g black olives, stoned
15 ml almonds (optional)
10 ml capers
- Heat oil in larger potjie.
- Lightly fry tuna steaks a few at a time.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until transparent.
- In the meantime, soak sultanas in wine and allow to stand until swollen.
- Heat wine and sultanas in smaller potjie and add to fish.
- Add tomato.
- Arrange potato slices on top of fish and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle olives, almonds (if using) and capers over fish.
- Cover with lid and simmer slowly for 30-40 minutes or until fish and potatoes are cooked.
- Add a little fish stock if necessary.