1 kg kingklip fillets, cut in strips
400 g frozen prawns
500 g pork, cubed
5 chicken thighs, halved
60 ml cooking oil
3 red sweet peppers (seeded and cut in strips) or a 400g tin pimento
1 large onion, chopped
1 litre boiling water
5 ml saffron
4 bay leaves
2 chicken stock cubes
500 g uncooked rice
Salt and pepper to taste
250 g frozen green peas
Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in the pot.
- Lightly brown the pepper, onion, pork and chicken.
- Cover and simmer slowly for an hour or until the meat is nearly done.
- Add the saffron, bay leaves and chicken stock cubes to the boiling water and set aside.
- Place the fish and prawns on top of the meat, followed by the rice and peas.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the saffron water little by little as the rice boils dry.
- Simmer the potjie gently until the rice and peas are done and all the liquid has nearly boiled away.
- Paella should be loose and the rice should not be soggy.
- Add the lemon juice just before serving and stir well.