500 g pork, cubed
5 chicken thighs, halved
1 kg kingklip fillets, cut into pieces
400 g frozen prawns
500 g mussels
500 g calamari
500 g crabsticks
60 ml cooking oil
3 red peppers, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 litre boiling water
5 ml saffron
4 bay leaves
2 blocks chicken stock
500 g uncooked rice
250 g frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in the pot.
- Slightly brown the peppers, onion, pork and chicken.
- Cover with the lid and allow the potjie to steam for 1 hour or until the meat is almost tender.
- Mix the saffron, bay leaves and chicken stock in the water and stand one side.
- Pack the seafood on top of the meat, then the rice and finally the peas.
- Flavour with salt and pepper.
- Pour the saffron water little by little as the rice cooks dry.
- Allow the potjie to simmer slowly until the rice and peas are done and the fluid is virtually cooked away.
- Pour the lemon juice over just before serving and stir well.