18 white mussels
18 black mussels
1 kg musselcracker or yellowtail
2 onions, sliced
15 ml cooking oil or olive oil
250 ml uncooked rice
5 ml grated lemon rind
30 ml fresh dill or 10 ml dried fish stock
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley
Prepare seafood as follows
- Octopus: Beat the octopus on the rocks until it is limp. Drop it quickly into boiling water, then remove and pull off the skin. Slice legs into rings and set aside.
- Alikreukel: Boil alikreukel in the shell in boiling seawater for 20 minutes. Take them out of their shells and remove the trapdoor and viscera. Rinse well.
- White mussels: Cover with fresh cold water and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Pour off water and repeat process 3 times until all the sand has been removed.
- Black mussels: Scrub well with stiff brush and remove any seaweed. Cover with cold water and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Pour off water and repeat process at least 3 times to remove all the sand. Use only closed mussels, since damaged ones are not safe to eat.
- Crayfish: Cook on the beach in seawater – 15 minutes from the time the water starts to boil. Cut the crayfish, claws and all, in half, remove intestinal vein and set aside.
- Musselcracker or yellowtail: Fillet fish, remove skin and cut into portions. Use head and bones to make stock in smaller potjie. Strain stock and set aside until required.
Prepare potjie as follows
- Sauté onion in the heated cooking or olive oil.
- Add rice, lemon rind and dill and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add enough stock to cover rice completely.
- Arrange fish in potjie starting with the octopus, followed by the alikreukel.
- Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Now arrange musselcracker or yellowtail portions on top.
- Follow with the crayfish halves and finally all the mussels.
- Cover with lid and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until all the shells have opened.
- Remove all unopened shells and discard.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and heat through for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.