5-6 medium potatoes
1 medium butternut squash
5 large carrots
2 ears of corn
1 small turnip or rutabaga
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup oil
4-6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup vegetable stock
- Wash the vegetables and cut into chunks.
- You can use any other hard winter vegetables that you like.
- Heat the potjie over coals until a little bit warm, then add oil.
- When oil is hot, lightly cook onions and garlic.
- Arrange vegetables in layers on top of onion and garlic mixture.
- The ones with the longest cooking times go on the bottom of the pot.
- Sprinkle on the seasonings and herbs.
- Pour stock over the final layer.
- Cover the pot with its lid and simmer over campfire coals for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Leave the lid on until the cooking time is finished.